Skip to main content

Is Social Media a Simulation of Basic Needs?

image: ambar del moral/mashable
Social Media has become a recent addition integrated as an advantage in everyday life.
Almost everyone you talk to or meet, most likely has at least one social media connection; ie. facebook, twitter, snapchat, instagram etc..

It's become an asset that we list on resumes, a platform to build a buisness and even has created jobs that we didn't think we'd have.

But is it really all that great? Or is it a simulation of human needs? an updated, tactile, streamlined need.

You want more friends? Connect your email with facebook and you'll be flooded. Feeling low self-esteem? Post a selfie, receive some uplifting comments.

But what about the yucky aftertaste? What about when the social media doesn't fulfill those simple needs as much or as often as we'd like?

Yes social media is an incredible addition to the internet and our smart phones, but what do we do when looking at a screen lowers our quality of life?

Comments

  1. This is so relevant to our lives, and the program in particular - don't you miss the life we could live before social media? I know I do. Plus haven't studies shown that posting workout selfies now qualifies as a mental health disorder? All I know is, I love turning my phone on airplane mode. You're right - we should all look at what we truly value and try stepping back from the non-stop online lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Project on a Project

A photo project on taking photos of my boyfriends project, a 240 coupe named Meredith. When I'm not at school or hanging at home, you can find me here sitting in the corner drawing or bugging Austin to change the song on Spotify. My essay gives an up close look at the community Austin's apart of. A community that's familiar with the blood, sweat, and tears for a little backward fun. View my photo essay here! 

Sam Harris Helped Me Get Out of Bed

Around sometime last week, with the drowsy weather and end of school term, I encountered a bit of the blues. I'm not a stranger to these sad feelings, they've visited before. School was a newfound factor in my mental health. Facing challenges everyday with social anxiety and depression in school. The biggest challenge besides stressing about what I'll say to the cashier to make conversation less awkward, is understanding why I wake up feeling sad. This question can have many answers; stress, family, relationships, money etc... but really I wanted to understand more on the why instead of the supposedly superficial reasons.  My obsession with podcasts has been going on since the end of this summer, I find comfort in being able to have a voice;an invisible friend where theres no pressure to respond or interact with. I can also multitask and not feel like I'm wasting time in front on my computer on Youtube.  Using the podcast tool, and wanting to learn more o

Vision Project 7

What's up friends! Peep Julia, Mauricio and I's Vision project. We based most of our facts on digital distractions in school, as well as the benefits. (also notice how I never stop talking in the background...)